Friday, March 4, 2011

It's not really eavesdropping if they're standing in front of you, right?

I'm pretty much transcribing a conversation happening in front of me. Some people don't know how close they stray to being parodies of themselves.


"You know, I've been thinking about it and thinking about it, and I just can't figure out how we got here."

"Well, you know, I'll tell you how we got here. We got here because we were talking. We were talking, and then they started listening, and then we waited to make our move till they were ready."

"I think you're right, I think you're absolutely right. And it didn't hurt that we have the technology now, we really do."

"Ah, but when we didn't have it, and we were trying to play the game - that was when things were going sour. We were talking a game we couldn't play. So you know what I did? I changed the game. I went and I changed the game on them. So now they're not even sure what game they're playing."

"Right, right. And it gave us some time to get ready."

"Exactly. So we waited till the time was right, and we made the play, and we nailed it. Touchdown. And there was nothing they could do about it. We blasted the competition out of the water. They're not even in the running now."


Etc. They went on in this vein for quite a while. It's always surprising to me how many times people can repeat themselves in different ways without getting called out on it. I know I'm always tempted to point that out when I'm actually involved in the conversation.

All I can really say is Oy vey, businessmen. Sports and war metaphors, seriously? That's all you've got? Please carry on this conversation somewhere else.

They kind of remind me of Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie in "A Bit of Fry & Laurie" when they play those ridiculous businessmen who are always shouting "DAMN!" and "BLAST!" and drinking cognac. I mean, there was less shouting here, but still. I think those stereotpyes probably exist for a reason.

1 comment:

  1. THIS ENTRY IS FROM TWO MONTHS AGO! THAT IS SOOO NOT ACCEPTABLE!

    BLOG, LADY! BLOG!!!

    ReplyDelete